Thursday, June 22, 2006

The Da Vinci Code



I know I missed out on many little bits of information that would have completed the piece for me had I read the novel before watching this movie. It's heavy, it's thought provoking and it's also what's selling. It's history, religion and art in a contemporary setting.

Church traditions, corruption in the Catholic Church, heads of secret societies, abusing and brainwashing the weak with religion to commit sins, the human desire to capture the truth of religion and events, post modernism questioning with emotions and opening to the idea of wild conspiracy theories.

I thoroughly enjoyed the concept of symbology and cryptology and the encoding of Da Vinci's paintings particularly Mona Lisa and the Last Supper. I found the decryption of the Last Supper very visually provoking during one of the scenes in the movie. The questioning of Jesus being the divine or just being man like any other. The relationship of Jesus and Mary Magdalene.

Is every faith in the world based on human fabrication? the history, the authority, the validity, the nature, the claims, the understanding, the relationships, the theories... are endless. Was Mary Magdalene the wife of Jesus? do these questions mean anything? did Brown just selectively pick different things, misrepresent them, hence, tortured christology? if the Catholic Church was accused of hiding the true gospels, does that mean that today's Bible is distorted? is there no historical merit? what can be trusted? are gospels just a myth?

Do we just follow whatever impedes our desires? are our communities disintegrating? is mankind deterioating and now self imprisoned from God's wisdom?

These movie got me thinking a lot. I need to watch it again. I loved it - mainly because it got me thinking about so many other things including the way I view religion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home