Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Dialogue with an Algerian who attacked a Moroccon

Two Algerian women tried repeating history with a Moroccon woman. So, I asked the Algerian woman "How would you feel if I started to criticize Algeria? What's the point of criticizing people's countries? How would you like it if I asked how come all the big/bloody/messy non stop massacres in Algeria never got on TV? burning people alive, mass rapes, slow painful dirty deaths etc.. hundreds of thousands killed in the last decade if not more. Is it not on the news because it's so dangerous? aren't all who get killed Arabs? are they hated? Would it be fair for me to assume that all Algerians are violent/barbaric? No, I can't be that ignorant. I can't discredit the fact that every Algerian I meet/befriend does help me form an opinion of them as a person and as an Algerian. Every single individual (Algerian) REPRESENTS Algeria just like I'm an Arab representing Arabia".

I continued: "I know you're Algerian, I know you don't represent your government unless you openly support their decisions and I know you don't represent every Algerian or an Islamist who committed atrocities but nevertheless, you do represent an individual from Algeria just as important as any other individual. That's the point I am making. A society is like a spectrum and all citizens of any given nation represent different points of that spectrum. And yes not all Algerians are Arabs - again I know that because I have befriended Algerians years ago and they identified themselves as Berbers. My point is, I wouldn't have a stab at you because of the massacres, the government or the Islamists etc just because you're Algerian and I also wouldn't discount the fact that you as an individual is entitled to represent Algeria in the light you choose to whether being a strong woman, independent, modest muslim or whatever it is and the fact that you're proud to be an Algerian. The massacres or the corruption and the barbarism doesn't mean it includes you too. I hope I've made myself clear".

Silence was followed by it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home