Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Defensive Driving Course in Oman

I started a new job so it was mandatory for me to attend a Defensive Driving Course. Prior to attending the course, I was like 'yeah, whatever, I don't see why I need to do this', partly because I did attend a somewhat defensive driving course when I was learning to drive in the US and partly because I feel I try to drive safely.

Anyhow, the reason I'm writing about this is because the Omani instructor was so informative, courteous, humorous, fluently bilingual and more supportive than most instructors I've come across. Yes, I do know how to drive but I have to admit that I learned many other things; the way to observe the road, the way to identify and proactively avoid hazards on the road, not to assume that we know what flickering flashing lights mean when someone is behind me or what indicators mean when we're behind a truck and he explained it with real tragic events of deadly accidents because the local traffic language is not as understood as many people think.

He also explained how I should fix my mirrors - apparently apart from the wing mirrors, the middle mirror inside the car should be adjusted in a way that we can look straight out at the road and into the mirror without moving our head, just our eyes.

Alright, I'll stop here but I learned a whole bunch of other things and I was extremely impressed by our fellow Omani instructor.I think this kind of course can prevent many accidents because they also play disturbing videos that would make you think twice, or how differently one would be hurt if he wasn't wearing a seatbelt etc.

I'd like to add that everyone including police drivers, government drivers, taxis, and the young Omanis who drive the little trucks desperately need this course, I'm positive it would make a difference to our alarming rate of deadly accidents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home