Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Working for SOM

Having completed 6 months at SOM, I considered pitching in a few thoughts about my experience here. It unquestionably has been a new and exciting experience for me. It was new because I spent 7 years working with foreigners in a male-dominated environment in different countries and now I’m at a workplace in my home country with other fellow Omanis that fortunately has a good balance of males and females. Not meaning to sound like a feminist, speaking of a contrasting yet genial experience, my department is 100% Omani females. Considering that the function of Finance has always been envisaged as a man’s world; SOM undoubtedly breaks that conventional theory.

From the work facet, it has been a pleasant challenge because my career took a sharp transformation from being a consultant to a process owner, from advising how to mitigate risks to actually making decisions and owning my risks and last but not least seizing a managerial job with no direct experience in it. What impressed me the most is that during the interview and selection process, they focused more on me as an individual and how I catch sight of ideas as opposed to just head-hunting for a working device that has related experience. This truly impressed me and had a direct impact in aiding me to accept the offer.

I have to acknowledge that SOM is one of the very few organizations in the country that is exceptionally well structured, works stringently around policies and procedures, develops its human capital and offers equal opportunities. For this reason amongst many, I look forward to being part of the developments that SOM fosters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home