Monday, June 26, 2006

Arts & Colbert














The photo is a picture of the Nomadic Museum in New York City where Colbert's work was exhibited. The picture does not do it any justice because the ambience I experience was absolutely fabulous and emotionally challenging.

I love Art but I don't see eye to eye with art academics (I have friends who are like that and that sometimes bores me, partly because the vocabulary is bigger than me).

I just like to see with my naked eye, feel with every sensation I have, reflect at the back of my mind, hear the voices/sounds in my head, talk to my other self (my subconscious) about it as I see it and feel it but art from a historical point of view, I totally suck at it. Names of artists, I suck at that too (can't store useless piece of information).

I enjoy strange things. I went to a few Art exhibits in the US and one of the many I loved was one by amateur artists in Washington D.C. in December 2004 in the SE of D.C.. It was so deep yet dark and spoke a thousand words. These kids created art with passion and sincerity.

Someone like Monet painted beautifully but it's all romance and monotonous (just a sales strategy - not much passion if you ask me). It lacks depth. I enjoy Dali's work because he was a non-conformist, broke taboos and expressed sexuality in multiple ways but then again I wouldn't necessarily put his paintings up on my walls but to see his stuff, I find it fulfilling. Renaissance Art is my least favorite although the Last Supper by Da Vinci is something else.

As a hobby, I love photography and the best photo exhibit I went to was Colbert's Exhibit Ashes and Snow (www.ashesandsnow.org) it was breath-taking. A close friend of mine and I went there and she just held my arm and said I want to cry, these photos are so deep. I was crying inside from how beautiful it was and the connection I felt to all the photos (I have to give credit to the ambience too, it felt antique like we were part of the pictures, the hall's dim light makes you think and great background music that aids you to feel).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home