Monday, May 16, 2005

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind











I must be losing touch with the world of movies because I never heard of this movie up till yesterday. Two of my friends came over and suggested we rent it out... so we did.

The story is not sophisticated at all but the way it was filmed; that was super-powerful and I loved the antiqueness of the cinematography.Initially, I was thinking, a screwed up love story with science fiction in it? I hate science fiction BUT this one was an exception. The chemistry between Jim and Kate was intense whether they're falling in love with one another or wanting to kill the other.

It was funny, emotional, dramatic and somehow confusing at the start of the movie, nevertheless, I loved the connection between Jim and Kate. I loved the idea how they decided to erase their memory to get over their dysfunctional relationship.

"Movie Spoiler" Do not read further if you have not watched it:

I have my own weird interpretation of the movie. I think Kate chose to erase her memory because she couldn't help but love Jim even through they had a dysfunctional depressing relationship. Jim didn't want to erase his memory but as a form of vengeance, he decided to do the same. What's touching about the movie is how Jim would fight the erasing process; the way he would chase Kate in his thought process; how he would come up with ideas in his sleep to escape the erasing process. That was just incredibly powerful.

The ending was beautiful and it says one thing to me that when two are connected; it doesn't matter what they go through, how chaotic their relationship is or how they hurt one another because there is this invisible force that they cannot fight which would bring them together. Sounds dreamy like but it makes a great deal of sense to me.

No no, it's not about "would you erase me?", it's more about "could you erase me?".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home