Wednesday, March 05, 2003

if you love your children, spank them?

There's a very thin line between spanking and disciplining a child. Spanking has nothing to do with love in my opinion. If you've spoilt your kid and cant say no, then spanking works, but that will also backfire. I was so shocked to see a 5 yr old kid giving her mother the finger when her mom turned her back. The girl is so spoilt and gets everything she wants, and now, she gives her mom the finger? yes, it's love that the mother is giving, but when a child cant accept 'NO' then the parents are to be blamed.

One of my cousins is a psychologist, and she has done wonders with her kids without ever spanking them. In fact, once I tried to tempt her 6 yr old girl into buying her an ice-cream if she came out with me, and she said 'Mom will get crossed if I have ice-cream, Im not allowed to have any'. Spoilt kids on the other hand would easily fall into temptation.

That's how I see it. I know this is a bad example, but my neice is almost 2, and she's never been hit, just disciplined and is used to hearing her parents say 'NO' which means 'No'. She loves chocolate, she knows where the chocolate is, but she asks my brother for it, so he says 'ok get it from the fridge', she gets it, and doesnt dare to open it, he breaks a small piece for her, she eats that piece and then he asks her to return it to the fridge. Not once did she break the rule.

I believe disciplining does wonders that spanking can never achieve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home